Updated: Jan 23
“What the world needs now is love sweet love, that's the only thing that there is just too little of.”
Songwriters: David Hal / Bacharach Burt F
Valentine's Day has traditionally been celebrated with romance in mind. A holiday for love birds and school aged children exchanging valentine cards. But we all know many other relationships are important to our happiness including our relationships with family, friends, and the community at large. Recently, we have seen the destructiveness of not nurturing kindness and humanity in our interactions with one another, so this Valentine's I propose we spread love with these 14 acts of kindness that can be done each day leading up to Valentine’s Day or all in one day! #spreadthelovechallenge
You can spread kindness in so many ways, and here are some ideas.
Pay it forward: Buy someone's coffee at your local coffee shop.
Leave kindness quotes in your neighbor's mailboxes. See quote ideas below.
Buy your local grocery store cashier flowers to give to them at checkout.
Return someone’s shopping cart back to the cart station.
Create one large poster with a motivational quote and post around your neighborhood. Or create a "take a compliment sheet" Quote ideas below.
Bring back the lost art of handwritten letters to a few of your closest friends telling them 10 things you appreciate about your friendship. Mail it to them, stamp and all.
Bring donuts or a favorite snack for your coworkers to your workplace. Or share a funny video if you are working remotely like me.
Deliver treats to your closest friends or let us do it for you and order an Adorn sweet bouquet. Simple and special way to show others they matter.
9. Do your spouse’s/family members’ chores for the day.
10. Have a bag of treats ready for your mail carrier or Amazon delivery person at the front door.
11. Consider making a thank you video for your child’s teacher, or your own teacher for that matter if you are a student.
12. Consider buying a blanket for a homeless person in your community.
13. Don’t forget your mamma, bring her flowers or dessert if she is close by; if she is not close by, make her a card (don't buy it), and mail to her. One idea for a card is stamping your thumbs with paint on a piece of paper forming a bouquet of flowers. The header can say “You left a special imprint on me.” Sample stamped heart below.
14. Most importantly, do something kind for yourself. Do something you really enjoy. Take a long hot bath, have a favorite treat, do something small you’ve been wanting to do because kindness always starts with you. You can't expect to have any room to take care of others without taking care of yourself.
Valentine's should not be just a holiday for lovers but for anyone who loves, let us make a new tradition to show those around us we care no strings attached.
When we say kindness spreads we mean it, no matter how seemingly small, these very acts have the power to mend the broken hearted, even if that broken heart is your own.
Quote ideas for neighborhood poster
“No one is born hating another person…People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.” – Nelson Mandela
“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” – Aesop
“Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.” – Scott Adams
“You can accomplish by kindness what you cannot by force.” – Publilius Syrus
“If you want to lift yourself up, lift someone else up.” – Booker T. Washington
Quotes for notes in mailboxes
“You are loved” “I am glad to have a neighbor like you”
“Your life matters” “I don't know you, but I love you”
“Your smile lights up the room” “You are doing a great job”
“You make a difference” “You are enough”
"You are beautiful inside and out”
If you use one of these ideas, remember to tag us @adorncelebration and hashtag #spreadthelovechallenge